Do your dull teeth keep you from smiling? If so, revitalizing your look can be as easy as scheduling a teeth whitening appointment with your Lumberton, NC, dentist, Dr. Colin Osborne—read on to learn more!
Why professional whitening is a good idea
Over-the-counter whitening products have several drawbacks. Some take a long time to work, while others never quite produce the results you expected. Other products may damage your tooth enamel and actually make your smile look worse by exposing the darker dentin layer of your teeth. Gum or root sensitivity might also occur if the product comes in contact with these sensitive areas or whitening trays don't fit properly.
Conversely, professional whitening from our Lumberton dental office offers these benefits:
- Thorough Preparation: Before your treatment begins, you'll receive a dental examination and a cleaning. If your dentist notices a cavity or another dental problem, you'll need to receive treatment before you can undergo whitening. Cleaning plaque and tartar from your teeth is an important part of the whitening process. Whitening agents can't penetrate these substances, and your teeth might look a little speckled after the treatment if you didn't have a cleaning first.
- Noticeable Difference: After whitening, many people notice a three- to eight-shade improvement in their teeth. Dentists use whitening agents that contain a stronger formulation of carbamide peroxide than over-the-counter hydrogen peroxide products. Carbamide peroxide is a natural stain buster that breaks apart stain-causing pigments, improving the appearance of your tooth enamel. It is more effective than hydrogen peroxide.
- Long-Lasting Results: Professional whitening results last several years and may be extended by limiting the foods and beverages that cause stains. Common culprits include berries, popsicles, sports drinks, brightly colored candies, coffee, tea, wine, and cola. Tobacco products can also stain your teeth.
- Custom Fitted Trays: may be used at any time to “boost” the benefit of the whitening over time for months to years after the initial treatment.
- Comfort: Through the use of fluoride rinses and topical application, sensitivity can be eliminated or kept to a minimum during the whitening process.
Give us a call
Brighten your smile with teeth whitening! Call your dentist in Lumberton, NC, Dr. Osborne, at (910) 738-9396 to schedule an appointment.